I-D ACTION:draft-andersson-mpls-g-chng-proc-00.txt

Elwyn Davies elwynd at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Mar 3 18:39:35 CET 2003

Hi.

The problem-statement WG is only (nearly) chartered to document the
perceived problems and attempt to find a set of root causes if possible.  We
have published a first cut at the problems list
(draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-00, now available on the I-D site).

Although there are a number of problems relating to external perception of
the IETF, the liaison issue was not much talked about, possibly because the
contributors were more focused on the internal problems. Accordingly it
didn't have much of an effect on the root cause problem list - what is
discussed is the IETF's problem with not clearly setting out its mission,
and in particular the degree to which it wishes to emulate a more
conventional SDO.  The problems with liaisons can be seen as a subsidiary
symptom of this.

Anyway, the liaison problem (and the rest of the SDO relationships) has been
forcibly brought to our attention and it looks like it should feature more
prominently in the root cause problems.

As regards starting to solve it, Loa believes (G)MPLS needs a solution RSN;
on the other hand, 'how to solve the general liaison problem' needs to be
part of the direction which the 'solutions process' piece of our work will
consider shortly, and it needs to be considerd in the general light of the
IETF mission (whatever that turns out to be).

Regards,
Elwyn Davies
(editor of draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement)