General comment on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

Allison Mankin mankin at psg.com
Mon Mar 3 09:50:17 CET 2003

On the general question of ADs' presence during WG meetings: it's
possible to view this as too black and white.  When I am present, I am
hardly there to do the substantive work of the working group.  The
right things are getting done in the working group because the Chairs
are carrying out their charter in its details.  Yes, this is a
collaboration, which I'm part of, because the IETF, the Chairs, the
ADs, the IESG, and the IAB developed the charter together, but the
Chairs and WG do the work during the meeting.  I will have some
process questions to answer, and my eyes are there for coordination
across the TSV area and across areas, which is why I think the IETF
has an IESG.  I am not there to direct the working group work.

The Chairs really do have a lot of authority and responsibility to
take, despite how it sometimes sounds in these discussions.  Anyway,
we pay them big salaries in TSV, which they earn... :)

Allison