General comment on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Mon Mar 3 09:46:39 CET 2003

>It's partly a reaction thing - at one time (around 1995??), there were
>some WGs that routinely met at the IETF without the AD being present.
>The WGs felt that they were being left to fend for themselves when process
>issues came up, and complained.

Well, of course we'll complain either way.  That's why you guys
make the big bucks... :-).

>And of course, when an AD feels responsible for his WGs, I don't think
>it's unreasonable for him/her to want to listen to the debate to get the
>"tenor of it" at least the 3 times a year that he/she has the chance.

True.  And, many ADs are also important WG contributors...

But, having a higher-level authority in the (physical or
electronic) room does tend to result in WG chairs deferring
to that authority (I do it myself).

Margaret