General comment on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Mon Mar 3 16:41:56 CET 2003

Eric,

> I agree that that's true, but in my experience (both in companies
> and the IETF) is a direct result of a lack of clarity about the
> amount of power being delegated. If people suspect that they will
> be overrulled or chastised for acting independently then they
> generally just pass the buck upwards.

I agree completely.

I think that the discussion of the perceived 'IESG autocracy'
(please note that I said perceived) may be the reason why folks
here don't tend to comment on IETF Last Calls anymore.  They've
passed the buck to the IESG.

This is why I feel that this is a critical issue for us.  If the
silent majority in the IETF feels like the IESG will overrule
things (or that the deck is stacked against individual members)
there will be an increased passivity in the general population.

John