ADs who are also WG chairs

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jun 30 18:48:26 CEST 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Elwyn Davies wrote:
> The ADs have far too much to do without being WG chairs as well.

True, true; but I think this is more of a problem caused by long-term
working groups.  The AD job is 2 years.

There are two kinds of issues, I think:
 1) WG chair-ship from before being selected AD (should you resign from
your WG(s)?)

 2) new WG chair-ship during your AD term (should you refuse new WG chair
positions while being AD?)

I think we all agree that AD's should try to avoid new WG chair jobs (2),
but especially when very typically WGs last more than two years (and there
may not be good substitutes handy, etc.), having (1) may prove difficult.

Of course, all of this would be moot if there actually were a large pool
of willing & trusted (by those who select the chairs) people ready for WG
chair positions (ie. Margaret's point).