MAJOR ISSUE: "Concentration of power"

Melinda Shore mshore at cisco.com
Sun Jun 29 10:23:38 CEST 2003

> Secondly, the IETF isn't structured as a democracy. In fact,
> doing so is immensely hard since the open door policy means that
> companies and special interest groups could (and would) attempt
> to stuff any form of one-person one-vote process.

This happens anyway, actually, although obviously it's more
in the form of stuffing the room (or putting 18 authors on a
draft) than it is of bringing in ringers to vote.  Even so,
I think it's far easier to deal with this problem using our
current decision-making process than would be if we went to
a voting system.

Melinda