MAJOR ISSUE: WG formation process

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Sat Jun 28 22:37:17 CEST 2003

Keith Moore wrote:

> often, we're not able to take advantage of the energy that accompanies an
> effort to start a new WG; by the time we get it started, that energy has often
> waned considerably.  this makes it harder to recruit people to do the heavy
> lifting in the group, and may cause the group to take longer to produce
> output.  in rare cases the group is unable to produce output while it's still
> useful or relevant.

I agree. In addition, the energy level applies not just
to the IETF folks but also the rest of the society. In
most cases, new features have a window of opportunity
to become defined and deployed. After the window is
gone, other solutions (possibly inferior) have been
found, the users are interested in other things, etc.

--Jari