ISSUE: Meeting scheduling

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Fri Jun 27 22:55:35 CEST 2003

Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> > There's probably a micro aspect to this, as well as
> > a macro aspect - http://www.ietf.org/meetings/wg_agenda_57.html
> > has exactly eight WG/BoF agendas listed, including three MobileIP
> > agendas and two general-area agendas.
> >
> > I really do understand our dependence on people who are willing to
> > come for the week, not just for a morning, but how can anyone
> > make an informed decision on what sessions they need to be at,
> > to accommodate part-time attendance plans?
>
> Moreover, the flexibility of the agenda is such that IMHO it is not
> possible to make make reasonable part-time attendance plans after the
> agenda has firmed up .. and then it is too late and costly (which
> was the one of the most important motives to begin with) already.

Having been involved in scheduling discussions many times, dealing
with complex clash-avoidance for essential participants, I really
doubt that we can do significantly better - the only possible change
is to shift the whole scheduling process several weeks earlier.
And that makes it very tough to schedule BOFs, given the iterative
process behind BOFs.

   Brian