ADs who are also WG chairs

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Fri Jun 27 09:17:09 CEST 2003

> One of the issues that came up in the discussion on rough consensus
> is the issue of ADs being WG chairs - either in their own area or in
> another
> area.
>
> I do not believe this dual role aspect of IETF management is yet
> reflected
> in the problem draft.
>
> Should it be?

As long as the AD acting as a WG chair recluses themselves from any and all
IESG decisions having to do with the WG, to avoid conflict of interest, I
don't think there should be a problem. I think its somewhat more
questionable if the WG is in the same area, since it removes one person from
oversight, and having two technically knowledgable, independent opinions on
a WG is often useful.

That said, I cannot see how, given the workload, an AD can possibly do a
good job as a WG chair and still expect to fufill their duties as an AD.
Just on the basis of that alone, it might be sensible to consider some kind
of strong disapproval, if not restriction, and make it an exceptional case.

My 0.02 euro.

            jak