It would be a problem if...

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Thu Jun 26 00:23:56 CEST 2003

It would be a problem if a design team or directorate (which are
explicitly not open, as Phill says) proposed a solution that did
not meet rough consensus in the WG or at IETF Last Call and then
the IESG put that solution on standards track. That would in fact
be a major violation of RFC 2026.

However, the use of closed teams to propose solutions that can be
accepted or refused by WGs is a completely valid part of the process,
and in one form or another occurs in most if not all standards
bodies. WGs do not, in the real world, write documents collectively.
They are always written by individuals or subgroups.

  Brian