rough consensus (was Re: "trouble maker")

James Seng jseng at pobox.org.sg
Thu Jun 26 04:35:04 CEST 2003

While we dont have the concept of "stakeholder", we have a concept of
"running code". This is another swing factor in the consideration of
"rough consensus".

Someone also reminded me that sometimes you need as high as 95% for
rough consensus and sometimes as low as 65%, varies according to the
topic and the situation.

So really, there is no any fixed methodology in determine rough
consensus and the current process leave it to the wg chairs to determine
"rough consensus". To balance this power, the appeal process was there
to catch the exception case.

Since everyone has their own interpretion of what is "rough consensus",
I can understand the resentment for those who lost out. And the wg
chairs is in this unfortunate position of been the center of this
resentment.

But please spare a thought for the wg chairs too. They are in this "damn
if you do, damn if you dont" position...

-James Seng