Trusting the IESG to manage the reform process

Allison Mankin mankin at psg.com
Tue Jun 24 13:54:52 CEST 2003

Phill,

> I did not say it was a question of age, it is a question of
> the inner circle membership having closed many years ago.

The current IESG has members who have been active in IETF for five
years or less.  My Co-AD, Jon Peterson, is one.  This is an
excellent development, because the IETF know-how is there, the
nomcom made sure of that, and there are fresh perspectives from
Jon and the other new folks.

There is no question that there are some inner circle effects around
the IESG and around processes at IETF.  But there is a real commitment
by me and IESG colleages to find new talent for WG chairships for one
example of avoiding inner circles, and to encourage WG chairs to do
the same with editorships, design team leads, and so on.  We don't
have obvious ways to make this commitment plain, you have to look at
the specific results.  I have some specific examples from WG
selection, but I need to vet them with the individuals involved.

Allison