"trouble maker"

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Mon Jun 23 15:12:48 CEST 2003

> My view of how the problem should be oriented is this:
> Existing IETF processes do not provide adequate protection
> against "denial of service" attacks by disgruntled
> participants.

How about this instead:

Many working groups have had trouble making forward progerss in the
presence of strident objections to the majority opinion from individual
or small numbers of participants.  The majority may believe these are
"denial of service attacks" that are intended to prevent the group from
producing useful output; the minority individuals may see them as "clue
donation" to groups suffering from an overly narrow focus or mob
mentality, or as "filibusters" - awkward but effective political tools
that are sometimes necessary to use to get a group to produce
reasonable compromises. Regardless of motivation or point-of-view, the
inability of many groups to move past these issues appears to cause
significant delays in working group output, and may harm the quality of
the output.