ISSUE: excessive perfectionism (was Re: ISSUE: Timeframes sho ld be focused on IETF purposes, not markets)

graham.travers at bt.com graham.travers at bt.com
Thu Jun 12 16:01:39 CEST 2003

Harald,

I see that you are seeking precision, rather than vague allusions, - which
is what I would prefer too.

I don't propose that we abdicate our responsibility; rather that we analyse
and record to whom we owe that responsibility.  This must be particularly
pertinent in cases where a specific requirement ( target ) must be
considered in the light of competing/complementary requirements from other
Areas or WGs.

However, given the turnover in IETF participants and their attendant
interests, if *we* set *our* targets, I believe it has implications for the
mission of the IETF.  There are certainly some these days who want to use
IETF standards for targets other than the Internet per se ( e.g. VPNs ) -
targets which were probably unforeseen when the IETF originally assumed its
mission for the Internet.  Does this mean that the mission of the IETF will
be subject to change to meet *our targets* ?  A changing mission strikes me
as very difficult to fulfil.

	Regards,

	Graham Travers

	International Standards Manager
	BT Exact

	e-mail:   graham.travers at bt.com
	tel:      +44(0) 1359 235086
	mobile:   +44(0) 7808 502536
	fax:      +44(0) 1359 235087

	HWB279, PO Box 200,London, N18 1ZF, UK

	BTexact Technologies is a trademark of British Telecommunications
plc
	Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
	Registered in England no. 1800000

	This electronic message contains information from British
Telecommunications plc which may be privileged or confidential. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please
notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above)
immediately.