The need for smaller protocol specifications

Charles E. Perkins charliep at IPRG.nokia.com
Wed Jun 11 15:05:27 CEST 2003

Hello Keith

Keith Moore wrote:

>> My belief is that the IESG demands full-blown system specifications
>> because anything less "could" be implemented inside systems that
>> have features they don't like.
>
> I don't think this is true in general.  To the extent that it is true,
> I suspect it has something to do with the expectations that the IESG
> (and perhaps the public) have for that particular technology.

Your story, while interesting, is far afield from my point.
I mentioned several areas which I believe the IESG has
mistakenly required for inclusion in base protocols, among
them key distribution when authentication is a part of
the protocol.

If the IESG wants assurances for a particular technology,
then those assurances should be in the charter statement.
They should not be articulated for the first time during
Last Call.

Regards,
Charlie P.