Wording of Engineering Processes Problem

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Tue Jun 10 13:48:05 CEST 2003

At 09:44 AM 6/10/2003 -0700, Charlie Perkins wrote:
>I'd rather encourage timeliness than predictability, because
>the latter probably means that the timeline by which the
>predictions are made will be expanded to assure success.

I would also prefer to think about timeliness rather than
predictability.  But, it can be quite difficult to make
trade-offs between feature level and timeliness if you
don't have any schedule predictability...

Also, several people have said, on this list, that their
(large) companies sometimes have problems with the lack of
predictability of IETF output.  They don't understand how much
they need to invest to get certain results, which makes it
difficult to imply traditional ROI (return on investment)
thinking to IETF activities.

Margaret