MINOR ISSUE: Desired level of architectural view

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Jun 10 09:26:44 CEST 2003

Section 2.1 of the problem-issues document says:

   o  The misty vision has restricted the associated architectural view
      to an outline top level view.  It would be desirable to have
      roadmaps and architectural views for portions of work which extend
      beyond a single working group:  It may also be the case that it is
      no longer possible to fit the whole Internet within a single
      architecture

MINOR ISSUE: There is not consensus that an archtiectural view is desirable
- see introduction to "architectural principles of the Internet" (RFC
1958), which emphasizes the ability to change more than the grand plan.

SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Reformulate the paragraph to focus on the roadmaps
rather than the architectural views - the term "roadmaps" indicates an
understanding of where we are and where we want to go, while the term
"architectural views" can be understood as "static" views on how things
should hang together.

PROPOSED NEW FORMULATION:

   o  The misty vision has restricted the ability to describe global
      technology roadmaps beyond an outline top level view [RFC1958].
      It would be desirable to have more detailed
      roadmaps and architectural views for portions of work which extend
      beyond a single working group, even if a single unified Internet
      architecture is not achievable by consensus.

[Reminder - I am making these comments in order to make sure we have the
problem issue document be the best document we can make before Vienna. If
we manage to make it good enough, we can declare consensus on the document
in Vienna, and stop discussing what the problem is....]