Trusting the IESG to manage the reform process (was:Re:Doingthe Right Things?)

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Mon Jun 9 09:29:20 CEST 2003

Hi Randy,

At 10:32 PM 6/8/2003 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
>if we come to agreement that producing quality and scaling are two
>core problems, then i think there is some organizational and
>management experience from within the computer industry and outside
>from which we can draw some ideas on quality management etc.  but i
>don't think we've reached consensus that these are the issues yet.

The problem statement lists both of these concerns, although
it labels them differently:

         - Lack of effective engineering practices (the text
                 of which is all about WGs producing timely,
                 high quality, predictable output).
         - Management structure not matched to size and complexity
                 of the IETF.

Many people have helped us to refine and reword those sections,
but I don't remember anyone indicating a lack of belief that these
two problems exist...

Why don't you think we've reached consensus?  It seems quite clear
to me that we have consensus that both of these problems exist
and need to be fixed.  And, I agree that it might be valid to
draw on experience from the computer industry, academia, other
standards bodies, etc. for ideas on how to fix these problems.

Are you waiting for a particular event -- such as the WG chairs
declaring consensus?  Or document publication?

Margaret