Trusting the IESG to manage the reform process (was:Re:Doingthe Right Things?)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Jun 8 18:52:25 CEST 2003

Eric,

ER> I ask again: what incentives do the WGs have to produce documents
ER> that meet the IESG's definition of quality?

I think you just highlighted a key problem:

The IESG can and must provide a quality control mechanism.  But it is
the community that must define the necessary quality.

And, yes, "the community" is a pretty darn fuzzy construct, which is why
we end up with each AD (and each IAB member) defining their own criteria
and applying them independently.

Still, we need to find reasonable, community based criteria -- beyond
just the criteria of the working group, so that it represents a broader
view -- with the IESG enforcing it, rather than inventing it.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>