ISSUE: Determinants for timeliness missing in section 2.1

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Sun Jun 8 14:39:00 CEST 2003

OK, I'll push two specific issues into the debate today.... first one...

ISSUE: In section 2.1, "Participants in the IETF do not share a common
understanding of its mission", I think there is a bullet missing.
The determination of "timely" market is a problem that is not mentioned.

 SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Add something like this:
 o The IETF is unable to determine explicitly what effect it desires to
have in the marketplace, and is therefore unable to determine what
requirements of timeliness are appropriate to consider when planning work.

I believe this is a core problem which underlies our commonly occuring
inability to have rational discussion about time-to-market vs quality.