IETF mission (RE: pausable explanation for the Document Series)

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Sat Jun 7 23:46:00 CEST 2003

This is not to Charlie.

> Be conservative in the claimed applicability, but generous
> in the potential applicability.

I disagree with this and its orginal words for many reasons.  It says
NOTHING in logic only in emotion.  And with 911 and SPAM being liberal
in what one receives is history. Customers don't want to hear this.  I
understand well the implememtation of TCP and how that particular and
other transport code works and that part I take as what John was
speaking about.  But these great words have become a political football
for people to tout a strategy when they really don't have a strategy or
a clue at a moment when they believe they want to respond.  Or in the
evil case when they want a backdoor to put proprietary vendor extensions
in their product and force behaviors on SDO protocols in that manner and
that John never meant't to be I strongly believe.

/jim