IETF mission (RE: pausable explanation for the Document Series)

Ralph Droms rdroms at cisco.com
Fri Jun 6 09:08:09 CEST 2003

Regarding Brian's call for radical thinking...

Is the problem:

   the 3 step standards track is largely fictional

the root problem or just a symptom?

I think it's just a symptom of a mismatch among industry
uses for IETF standards, WG processes and IESG goals.

The current *usage* of the standards track effectively
has a single hurdle at PS.  I suggest we need to devise
a process and set of hurdles that include some intermediate
states that are not well-defined in the current usage
of the standards track.

One of the important states that is missing today is

   stable specification used for prototyping

My recent experience with specifications in the dhc WG
has been that "running (prototype) code" trumps
(potentially ad infinitum) speculative discussion about
whether the protocol is correct and completely
specified.

The design problem, of course, is devising the right
document classifications and process to strike a balance
among nimbleness (getting to a stable specification
quickly), correctness and allowing for changes after
the prototypes have been developed (avoiding the
"we've deployed the prototype and now we can't change
the protocol" problem)...

- Ralph