pausable explanation for the Document Series

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Fri Jun 6 10:47:38 CEST 2003

Hi Pekka,

> In real world, people implement the protocols for pilot/test purposes in
> any case.  This can be done when the I-D has reached reasonable level of
> stability.

Except when the IETF is not timely.  In a number of cases, people fail
to update implementations to protocols that are long lived because
they prefer to wait until the protocol is nearly complete.  I have this
comment from many people (from different organizations) for a number
of protocols such as MIPv6 and Diameter, for example.  Without making much
effort, I could find a bunch of other examples.

John