pausable explanation for the Document Series

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Fri Jun 6 09:15:15 CEST 2003

Hi Bob,

> >The more-core problem is industry running on protocols with design flaws
> >and protocol bugs, which cannot be fixed because of the installed base.
> >
> >If PS was perfect, this would not be a serious problem. But it isn't so.
>
> First versions of anything are never perfect.  This is true for products
> and standards.  As long as we try to solve the problem by trying to make
> the first version perfect we will fail.  It only delays the first version
> and causes it to miss the market need.  The only solution I know of is to
> do new versions.  This seems to work well in industry.
>
> Perfection doesn't work.  Shipping products and getting bug
> reports works.

I agree with you on this point.  Until someone writes an ascii to
C (or your favorite coding language) to convert I-Ds to running
code, it'll be impossible to ensure that a PS does not have
bugs.  A more sensible way forward, in my opinion, would be
to ensure a better way for bug reporting, document updating, etc.
I think Harald's maintainence teams is a good potential solution.

John