pausable explanation for the Document Series

Bob Hinden hinden at IPRG.nokia.com
Thu Jun 5 18:32:30 CEST 2003

Harald,

>The more-core problem is industry running on protocols with design flaws
>and protocol bugs, which cannot be fixed because of the installed base.
>
>If PS was perfect, this would not be a serious problem. But it isn't so.

First versions of anything are never perfect.  This is true for products
and standards.  As long as we try to solve the problem by trying to make
the first version perfect we will fail.  It only delays the first version
and causes it to miss the market need.  The only solution I know of is to
do new versions.  This seems to work well in industry.

Perfection doesn't work.  Shipping products and getting bug reports works.

Bob

p.s. Bug reports are also a good way to measure real usage.