IETF mission (RE: pausable explanation for the Document Series)

Charles E. Perkins charliep at IPRG.nokia.com
Thu Jun 5 09:57:41 CEST 2003

Hello John,

I also wholeheartedly support the inclusion of an applicability
statement whenever it makes sense.  However, I also suggest that
the protocol SHOULD (within engineering discretion) not intentionally
restrict its applcability to the situations delineated in the
applicability statement.

I would restate Postel's maxim:

Be conservative in the claimed applicability, but generous
in the potential applicability.

Regards,
Charlie P.