Discipline of Internet Protocol Engineering

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Wed Jun 4 16:08:24 CEST 2003

Indeed, scope and non-goals need to be in there too.

The most useful section of diffserv's charter, from the viewpoint
of discussion management, was the part starting:
  "The group will not work on: "

I've always regarded the vetting of WG charters as the most important
single thing that the IAB and IESG do. A good charter is the
most effective tool an AD or WG Chair can have to maintain
forward progress.

So, "sloppy charters" needs to be on the problem list.

   Brian