Document Series

Joel M. Halpern joel at stevecrocker.com
Tue Jun 3 21:14:11 CEST 2003

I think we are each making assumptions about the history that led to this,
and it would not surprise me if we are making different assumptions.
Note that I do not have data to back my understanding / memory, so I may
well be confused.

My understanding is that the higher bar to PS arose as a consequence of
things being widely deployed at PS and things not advancing to Draft rather
than the deployment and non-advancement being a consequence of the high bar.

This is important in the sense that if the lack of advancement came first,
then simply lowering the bar will not help us get better standards, and in
fact could result in our ending up with lower quality documents permanently.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern