WG Quality Processes WG

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Mon Jun 2 15:24:35 CEST 2003

Hi, Scott,

We had already started a discussion this morning about
how we organize to do "small chunks of work". It seems
to me that we are headed toward small process changes,
as opposed to "feed the IESG to pigs and start over",
so the "small chunks of work" discussion seems applicable
to process work as well.

Margaret told me that she'd gotten approval for a BoF
in 15 minutes, on one occasion. My limited experience
has been that it takes me longer than that to get approval
for a BoF, and about two IETF meeting intervals to charter
a working group after a BoF is proposed.

I'm also thinking that if the IESG has to choose between
considering BoF requests for process work and BoF
requests for protocol work, the protocol work will get
the nod.

If you're really good at sliding WG creation requests
through, please stay engaged. If I'm going to be involved,
I'm concerned about the inertia I've experienced when
spinning WGs up from scratch, and expect that process
WGs would take more time, rather than less.

Spencer

p.s. I'm not complaining about the amount of inertia - I work
in TSV, and we tend to NOT "go crazy" and redo TCP every
year, for good reasons. I'm just not sure the amount of
inertia I've experienced will help us improve our processes
before IETF 60 (to pick a date).