English (was Re: A few hums)

Steve Silverman steves at shentel.net
Thu Jul 24 19:20:38 CEST 2003

A few steps that might help:

All speakers to put the substance of what they are saying in words on
the slides.
People try to speak a little slower.  (This is hard to remember
especially when the chair says 1 minute more!)
A distinction between questions for clarification (asking what is
being said) versus
comments on the material.  The former should be taken first,
preferably immediately.
Some sort of signal (holding up a paper?  or blue index cards?) might
be used to signify a question of clarification.

Steve Silverman