English (was Re: A few hums)

Leif Johansson leifj at it.su.se
Thu Jul 24 17:44:04 CEST 2003

Randy Bush wrote:

>if we think we can solve the global multi-language/culture problem,
>why the heck don't we get real and work on world hunger and peace?
>
>let's face it, we live in a multi-lingual world, embarrassingly,
>american has become the lingua franca of our technology.  there
>are some simple (but hard) things folk can do to make themselves
>easier to understand, speak slowly and clearly, use no idioms,
>have clear slides which help folk read along, etc.  i would wager
>that there is some nice web page on this if we googled correctly.
>
>beyond that, yes it's a problem, but we ain't gonna fix it.
>
>randy

Really! Just consider us poor Swedes who are all taught to speak and
write the
Queen's English at school. How are we supposed to cope with "American"
?!? ;-)

I believe the web-page you were looking for is

    http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/brit-queue-51st.htm

    MVH (I bet you don't know what that stands for either :-) ) leifj