A few hums

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jul 23 11:29:52 CEST 2003

On woensdag, jul 23, 2003, at 08:45 Europe/Amsterdam, Pekka Savola
wrote:

>> I think in many cases this is
>> exacerbated when people (try to) speak too fast. [...]

> Indeed.

> However, *I* at least don't have any problems with understanding fast
> speaking, *as long as* the speaker is a native speaker (or close
> enough),
> i.e. can speak in a way I'm used to hear English spoken.  I'm not sure
> how
> big a problem this is for most folks.

I don't know if people come to IETF meetings who find it difficult to
follow English when it is spoken clear but fast. Speed in itself isn't
a problem for me, as long as I get a few moments to let everything sink
in before I'm required to react. However, speaking fast and still
articulate well is something that is hard even for native speakers. And
the people who speak the fastest usually use the most "uhm", "ahhh",
"errr" and so on so it really doesn't help anyway.

> But when someone with e.g. a strong French or Japanese/Korean accent
> tries
> to speak fast, then everyone is lost immediately..

Yes, this is often the case although there are also many people with
accents that don't get in the way.