A few hums

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jul 23 02:15:31 CEST 2003

On woensdag, jul 23, 2003, at 00:02 Europe/Amsterdam, Melinda Shore
wrote:

> In the discussion of whether or not there's a problem
> accomodating ESL speakers, the discussion broadened a bit to
> cover cultural issues, the hum indicated that those present
> felt that we needed more text on this issue.

Something that people who aren't used to working in a second or third
language may not realize is that it often simply takes more time to
digest what is said in English for non-native speakers. For me, it's
especially this humming thing that usually happens way too fast. There
was more than one occasion last week where the hum was over before I
could join in. For some unknown reason, this problem is much less for
me with hand raising, although a few triple negatives in the question
slow me down in that case too.

And was it just me or were many of the participants from Japan
especially hard to understand? I think in many cases this is
exacerbated when people (try to) speak too fast. Maybe some kind of
sunday session where people who will be presenting later in the week
can get some feedback on the way they speak can take the edge off here.
The system they use for the ICANN meetings where all text is typed in
verbatim and projected on a screen is also a very good solution and
comes in handy for other reasons as well, but this is probably way too
expensive.

As for cultural issues: it may be good to say something about what is
the appropriate way to get someone's attention for exchanging a few
words before/after a session or in the hallways.