The IETF's problems

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Jul 22 16:35:06 CEST 2003

On zondag, jul 20, 2003, at 19:28 Europe/Amsterdam, Melinda Shore wrote:

> The discussion itself isn't doing much to distill the topic
> down to document text, and we need to stay focused.  Do you
> feel that existing text regarding scope in the problem
> statement document is inadequate?

Not sure what you mean by scope.

However, many of the "root" problems in the problems draft aren't that
fundamental. The three most fundamental problems I see are:

- the IETF doesn't know what it wants to be: a "real" standards
organization or some kind of a grass roots movement
- inability to make decisions other than just wait until there is
agreement or come up with convoluted processes that only work because
people are forced to interact until they somehow solve the problem
- inability to manage resources effectively and efficiently

Iljitsch