The IETF's problems

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Sat Jul 19 14:24:55 CEST 2003

] My view is that so long there is sufficient interest (or rough
] consensus) in any work, whether it comes from a large vendor or not is
] irrelevant. In fact, if a good idea comes a large vendor and people are
] interested to work on it, all the more we should.

I don't care whether the idea comes from a large vendor or not, as long as
it's a good idea.   And I agree that the investment of energy by a large
vendor can go a long way to help make a good idea successful.

However I don't believe that "sufficient interest" is a reliable indicator of
which ideas merit IETF investment of energy.  I'm not even sure I'd accept
"rough consensus" as such an indicator.