Hearing and Speaking Problems

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 17 08:48:36 CEST 2003

John

I would list the problems as:

    1)    There is a legal requirement to provide equal levels of access to
the processes in whatever language(s) that we choose, and that is part of
the Americans with Disabilities Act and nothing else. The IETF is a US
Corporate Structure (an arm of ISOC which is a US Corporation) and so the
IETF MUST meet the ADA's requirements whatever that means I am willing to
bet  (lets ask  our counsel - "Jorge do you concur here?")

    2)    There is an organizational mandate to provide capture of any
solutions to meet #1 above as part of the global and interactive records of
the IETF. And this is true for both forensic purposes but also to promote
equal access.

    3)    Now and only now, does the ESL issue pop up, but it is the third
issue on this list not the first.  Also realize that for each language
supported the IETF will be mandated to address #1's and #2's issues and
requirements for meeting them making processing ESL type disclosures VERY
costly with the current setups IMHO.

Any comments?

Todd