Hearing and Speaking Problems for Non-Native Englishspeakingparticipants.

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Wed Jul 16 17:47:43 CEST 2003

Dave Crocker wrote:
> any reason that typing notes to jabber cannot serve as
> the notes given to the chair?  One advantage is that
> the chair then gets comments included from others.
	Using such a method of collecting notes would have the odd
effect of giving an "advantage" to those who monitored the meeting via
Jabber since they would be able to ensure that their comments were
included in the notes while those who are physically at the meeting are
often limited in their ability to comment due to limits on simultaneous
speakers, access to the microphone, the chair's willingness to recognize
them, etc. If this advantage comes to be recognized as significant, we
might find even those who are physically at the meeting focusing more on
the Jabber session than on the meeting itself.
	It should also be recognized that meeting transcriptions are
often not "complete" as they are written. A good note taker will revise,
amend, and reformat the notes prior to submitting them. For instance, in
an effort to compress the text, a comment by Dave Crocker might be
recorded as being from "crock" in the raw notes but expanded out to
"Dave Crocker" in post-meeting editing. I think we should not expect
that raw jabber logs will suffice as meeting minutes.

		bob wyman