[Fwd: Re: rough consensus (was Re: "trouble maker")]

James Seng jseng at pobox.org.sg
Wed Jul 16 20:56:50 CEST 2003

In some cases, it is easy to differential. But in most cases, it is a
fuzzy line.

For example, a proposal which have most people supportive but a couple
of objections, do we move forward? In general, the answer is "yes".

But what if the couple of objections involves all the major vendors for
that protocol. Do we still move forward a proposal we know which will
not be deploy at all?

Another example, a proposal have only a handful of people supporting it
passionly but the rest of the group is in the class 'don't care but no
object', 'dont like it but wont bother to object', 'finds the whole
excerise waste of time'.

So when you call for a hum, you get some very loud hum but still weak.
You call for objections, silent. Do you move forward?

<solutionism>
So basically, there are a lot of factors influencing whether the Chairs
will declare rough consensus or not. While I feel the Chairs should
still have pregorative to decide when to move forward, the consideration
should be captured and make clearer to the participants so that people
wont scream so much when the Chairs decided to move (or decided not to
move).
</solutionism>

-James Seng