Another possible problem?

Charlie Perkins charliep at IPRG.nokia.com
Wed Jul 16 03:06:43 CEST 2003

Hello folks,

I'd like to suggest the possible problem for inclusion in the
problem statement draft.  I'm obviously not suggesting a
complete solution.  If this is already present in the draft,
then please excuse my inadvertent duplication.

Problem: There often seem to be adversarial relationships
               within the IETF that are not necessary, and which
               substantially interfere with accomplishing timely
               work.  These adversarial relationships exist, at times,
               between:
               - IESG members and document editors, and
               - IESG members and working group chairs
               - possibly other cases I am not aware of.

Partial solution(s):
               Making all process steps and expectations evident
               as early as possible.  Arrange things so that each
               party expects the best, instead of the worst, from
               the other party.  Clarify or modify IETF processes
               to eliminate sources of differing expectations.  Avoid
               all situations where one party knowingly allows the
               other party to harbor false expectations.

Regards,
Charlie P.