Whether HTML RFCs (was: Re: Plenary decision?)

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Sun Jul 13 09:56:03 CEST 2003

Another document folk interested in this topic might want to review is
is:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/tmp/rfc.txt

Internet Engineering Task Force
Internet Draft                                               Schulzrinne
schulzrinne-rfc-00.txt                                       Columbia U.
September 3, 2000
Expires: January 2001

    Suggestions for Future Document Format Requirements for RFCs and
                            Internet Drafts

Abstract

   A dwindling fraction of authors of I-Ds and RFCs are still fluent in
   nroff, the official input format for RFCs. With the use of other
   tools, the consistency and layout quality of RFCs and I-Ds has
   suffered.  Printing, hyperlinking and viewing of ASCII documents are
   unsatisfactory. In this document, we investigate how the I-D and RFC
   series can be upgraded in usability while maintaining stability,
   longevity and cross-platform abilities that have been hallmarks of
   the RFC series.

6 Acknowledgements

   This document attempts to summarize the discussion on the IAB, wg-
   chairs and IESG mailing lists that took place during August 2000. Any
   misrepresentations are the fault of the author.