Plenary decision?

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Jul 11 21:17:36 CEST 2003

--On 11. juli 2003 05:32 -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<pbaker at verisign.com> wrote:

>> The closest thing we have is the IETF plenary. And it's been
>> consistently  *against* any particular proposed change to document
>> formast. If you don't  want to respect that - your choice.
>
> I seem to recall raising the issue in a plenary. At no time was I aware
> that the plenary was the decision maker for the issue in question.

you snipped the text I was responding to.

You said:
>> As for rough consensus, the PROBLEM I am identifying is that there is
>> simply no forum where the majority of the membership can give their views
>> on the matter.

I agree that the plenary is not a very good decision making body.
But it IS the closest thing we have to a forum where the majority of the
membership can give their views on the matter - and that was what I was
saying.

                       Harald