Accomodating ESL speakers

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 8 08:06:24 CEST 2003

Avri - the problem is with creating a homogeneous set of Intellectual
Properties that can all be evaluated equally as a standard, and the issues
of opening that to multiple languages complicates the matter terribly. I do
understand that the largest part of the world speaks something other than
English, but it (English) has been the mainstay of the IETF's and the
Internet Standards disclosure models from day one.

To bring into that any other languages complicates the qualifying of
standards tremendously since then the Editors MUST be fluent in those
languages from a technical sense so that they can see for instance, how a
French  or Hebrew update tracks the original English printing on RFCXXXX for
instance, and that will clearly increase the complexity and cost of
processing standards as well as slow the publishing process down
tremendously, oh and it also opens the Editors to commercial liabilities for
any screwups therein.

I would because of these simple facts propose that for now, that English
remain the official filing language until such time as the IESG can formally
afford or get interpretive services as part of its operations model.

Todd Glassey