MAJOR ISSUE: Causes of "problems"

Dave Crocker dcrocker at brandenburg.com
Mon Jul 7 00:02:17 CEST 2003

Bernard,

BA> So is "scope expansion" a potential *cause* of "problems"? Or is it a
BA> "problem" in its own right?

By way of trying to pursue the question you asked (...)

Perhaps both?

Expansion of scope means we spread our limited resources thinner.  This
means we cannot provide as much (necessary) attention to individual bits
of work.

In general, we often seem to treat ourselves as having infinite
resources.  For a community well-versed in queuing theory, this is
rather strange.

Expansion of scope also risks our working on things we know little
about.  The dangers of that are pretty obvious.

In general, we seem to focus only on whether a topic is important, and
not very much on whether we are community that is competent to work on
it.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>