ISSUE: Determinants for timeliness missing in section 2.1

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Jul 7 08:11:40 CEST 2003

--On søndag, juli 06, 2003 08:59:55 +0200 Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net>
wrote:

> HTA> When we have the case of "plenty of people .... that had a very clear
> HTA> vision of what they wanted to achieve", and have "requirements to
> satisfy HTA> additional constraints", the people imposing additional
> constraints are HTA> people too, and part of the community. What's more,
> in the cases where HTA> those "imposing" people are chosen as leaders of
> the community, they HTA> believe that they represent other members of the
> community - and may even HTA> be right.
>
> This was an extremely helpful posting.  I think it honestly and
> accurately highlights two points of disparity.
>
> One is that the folks imposing those additional requirements are not the
> folks doing the work to satisfy them. Consult one of Randy's learned
> texts on management about the effect of a pattern of such impositions on
> productivity and morale. A pattern of imposing, like this, needs to be
> balanced by an accompanying pattern of being perceived to help achieve
> timely and productive results.

[I'm not convinced that this point achieves anything but pointless debate
about who is doing "real" work.... I won't pursue at this time]

> The other point of disparity is that this is a community that supposedly
> has its ultimate authority in the community, not in its "leaders".
> Leaders in this community are supposed to be facilitators at pursuing
> community rough consensus, rather than folks who "impose" requirements.

We agree.

When the leaders are wrong, and impose additional requirements that are
*not* the community's, the leaders need reeducation wrt what the
requirements that the community wants *really* are.

I still have not been so educated in the IMPP case, it seems, but that is a
debate for another forum.