ADs who are also WG chairs

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Sat Jul 5 06:50:03 CEST 2003

>It is relevant. A paid-membership vs a no-membership fees is one of the
>key differences between IETF & OASIS.

Nobody is suggesting a paid membership fee for the IETF. Therefore the
point IS irrelevant.

You are continuing to attack a straw man here. It is like attacking
the IETF because the IETF meetings have a singificant fee.

>To be a OASIS "TC voting member", you need to be an "eligable member"
>and participate in TC activites for at least 3 times. Therefore, this
>set the prerequiste that you need to pay some form of memberships to
>OASIS in order to participate in OASIS TC.

Not at all, there are plenty of individuals participating who do not
pay to participate. But I mention the point only because you might
discourage people from participating in OASIS groups with your
misinformed statements.

This aspect of OASIS is not particularly satisfactory, however it is
not alone in having to pay for its secretariat. OASIS is a heck of a
lot more economical in this regard than IETF. ISOC tells us it costs
$800,000 a year to run the RFC editor. That strikes me as a ridiculous
sum for a task that should be largely automated.

		Phill