The need for smaller protocol specifications

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Sat Jul 5 02:05:30 CEST 2003

--On fredag, juli 04, 2003 14:21:26 -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<pbaker at verisign.com> wrote:

> The 'Draft' stage in the standards process is unnecessary, confusing and
> should be eliminated immediately. This would immediately reduce the IESG
> work load by a third and have no detrimental effect. All RFCs currently at
> draft standard status would immediately progress to Standard.

The part of the IESG workload caused by moving stuff to Draft is far less
than one third. More like three percent - apart from the number of
documents (low), most of the stuff going to Draft is "known quantity" - we
know what it's supposed to do, and what it's being used for, so reading the
doc is MUCH easier....

there are good reasons to remove Draft (I think), but load on the IESG by
the current process is not one of them.

                     Harald