attempts to exclude people from WGs (was ADs who are also WG chairs)

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Fri Jul 4 14:56:01 CEST 2003

> basically any bias you add to the selection of people who are
> at the table
> will favor somebody or another, and the fact that the bias
> exists can be used
> to try to get a competitive advanage.

Ah, so because there is no 'perfect' alternative that satisfies Keith there
is no choice but to accept the current situation where the only people with
any say are the IETF establishment.

I prefer a partly flawed selection than the current situation where only the
WG chair gets to make any decision according to whatever process he chooses
and then the IESG and IAB refuse to intervene so long as the abuse takes
place in accordance with the 'process'.

Again, either you open up the IETF process so that everyone has a say in the
outcome or we will find an alternative venue to agree standards. There is no
divine right by which the IETF is the only arbiter of Internet protocols. If
the IETF refuses to be open and accountable it is not going to be allowed to
be part of the standards decision process.

		Phill