ADs who are also WG chairs

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Fri Jul 4 12:49:41 CEST 2003

> > No, it limits the ability to decide on a standard to the people who
> > have sufficient time to make a contribution to the process.
>
> so all we have to do is raise the bar high enough, and we can
> be assured
> that none of the riff-raff get let in...

No, all that is necessary is to raise the bar high enough to stop
someone from suddenly packing a meeting to force through some
scheme.

In practice there is no real incentive to pack a meeting if the
IPR rules prohibit proprietary protocols. I have never seen a
vendor led attempt to pack a meeting that did not involve some
form of IPR dispute.

WAP would probably have had no problems at all if they had
written the rules to state that no proprietary technology
would be considered if there was an unencumbered alternative.

		Phill