ADs who are also WG chairs

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Fri Jul 4 10:38:12 CEST 2003

> 1. OASIS is a paid-membership group. Some would considered
> that the fact
> it is paid-membership makes is exclusive (altho not exactly closed).

This is irrelevant, that aspect of OASIS is not essential to the points I
raised.

Also the right to vote as an OASIS member is not the same as the right to
vote in a TC. An individual member of OASIS pays a reduced subscription and
does not get a vote in OASIS governance issues, mention in press releases
etc. However an individual member or even a non-member contributor has the
same voting rights in a TC.

> 2. IETF dont have "members", or at least similar to OASIS.

There are plenty of proxies for membership that can be effected.

> Participating
> in IETF are usually free (excluding cost of attending IETF
> meetings) so
> any formal voting process, web-based or otherwise, arent
> likely going to
> work. (If in doubt, look at GA at ICANN).

I see no conflict between membership being free and having voting. The only
reason there is a charge to join OASIS is the need to pay the administrative
costs. The IETF has found an alternative solution.

I fail to see the relevance of ICANN processes here.

> 3. OASIS is a coporate-centric organization whereas IETF is an
> individual-centeric organization. (This is not to say individual cant
> participate in OASIS or coporate cant participate in IETF...)
>
> Are we prepared to make this big switch making IETF an
> industry consortium?

Again that is not being proposed, you are raising a false dichotomy.

The choice is between taking action to make the IETF internal processes open
democratic and accountable allowing the IETF to continue to direct Internet
standards development as a voluntary body or attempting to continue with the
status quo where control inside the IETF is vested in a small unaccountable
clique and vendors increasingly abandon IETF process for more open forums.

Attempting to maintain the status quo will result in the exact situation you
are trying to prevent.

		Phill