Appeal records (was: Re: appeal mechanisms was Re: Ombuds-process)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Jul 3 13:28:09 CEST 2003

--On tirsdag, juli 01, 2003 08:20:53 -0400 John C Klensin
<john-ietf at jck.com> wrote:

> (Separating this off into a separate thread)
>
> --On Tuesday, 01 July, 2003 09:42 +0900 avri <avri at apocalypse.org> wrote:
>
>> I would really be interested in an analysis of the number of
>> appeals that have been brought forth in last years, the number
>> of successful ones and the reasons formally given for the
>> unsuccessful ones.  Is a formal record kept of all appeals and
>> the deliberation on those appeals?  Are those records open and
>> readily available to the IETF participants?
>
> I doubt that such records exist in a form that would be amenable to
> statistical analysis.  Certainly the _decisions_ of the IAB on appeals
> have been public and, as far as I can recall, have always been recorded
> on the IAB's web pages.

I instituted a web page for this at the IESG level last fall.
It's http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Appeals.html - reached from the main IESG
page, under the title (unsurprisingly) of "Appeals to the IESG".

So far, it's collected a grand total of 3 appeal texts - one of which ws
accepted, one of which was rejected, and one which was withdrawn.

Caveat: It does NOT record appeals against WG actions that are addressed to
individual ADs.

The IAB appeals page, which has a somewhat longer history, is at
http://www.iab.org/Appeals/index.html

                 Harald